1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Move the onion to a plate to cool. Wipe the pan with
a paper towel.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meats, egg yolks, heavy cream, and onion. Add salt, pepper, and allspice.
Squeeze excess milk from the bread and add it to the bowl. Mix gently.
4. With a bowl of cold water standing by, form meatballs 1-inch across. Dip your fingers in cold water to keep the
meat from sticking.
5. Melt the remaining butter in the saute pan and add a layer of meatballs as the foam mellows. Do not over-crowd the pan and shake it occasionally to round out the meatballs. Brown all of the meatballs, in batches, moving them to a large oven-safe dish when cooked. Put the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes.
6. Sauce: Pour off most of the fat from the skillet and return it to the heat. Add 2 tbs of butter and swirl it around to coat the pan. Sprinkle in the flour, and stir with a whisk to dissolve the flour into the fat. Pour in the chicken stock and stir to loosen the bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer, stirring, until liquid is reduced and mixture thickens to a sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and stir in the cream and black currant jam. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the meatballs are heated through 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Receive updates on events, vineyard news and wine releases. We would love to stay connected with you. Join our email list by filling out your email in the space provided or feel free to call us at 707.433.4050.